Ewedu leaf as the Yoruba’s call it, Achingbara in Igbo, Rama in Hausa or Jute leaves as in English Language all point to the same leaf botanically known as Corchorus Olitorius. It is a green leafy edible vegetable that is prepared into the delicious slimy soup called ewedu.
Jute is rich in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. It also contains iron, calcium, sodium, phosphorus, potassium, proteins, fibers, Vitamins A, C and E, riboflavin, niacin and folate. These are nutrients that help the body to fight diseases and maintain good health.
Research has shown that the Ewedu leaf has different varieties that possess vitamins and antioxidant that are of immeasurable nutritional and therapeutic value to our body system. These vitamins are crucial in protecting the body from degenerative diseases such as Cancer.
Health Benefits of Ewedu Leaf
- It contains vitamin A, C and E, and these vitamins are key in the protection of the body from diseases.
- It it a good source of fibre, which makes it helpful in dealing with weight management and may also promote intestinal health by helping with bowel movement.
- Ewedu leafs are also known to help boost immunity and nourish the body system.
- They are often used as a remedy for stomach related conditions such as dysentery and constipation.
- They increase the production of collagen in order to keep the skin firm and smooth.
- It is rich in beta-carotene for good sight.
- It has high calcium content for healthy bones and teeth.
- It boosts the immune system and nourishes the body.
- It has anti-aging properties that keeps the skin looking smooth and radiant.
- It lowers blood pressure, cholesterol and is good for heart health and diabetes.
- It can increase sexual Libido and aid fertility.
- It is a blood purifier and laxative.
- It improves eyesight.
- It aids and aids easy delivery in pregnant women.
- It controls infections like gonorrhea